How to Start a Business
Step 1: Contact the City's Business Liaison
We’ve listed several organizations and offices that you can contact with questions regarding your business and its commercial environment. But as your first point of contact, our Business Liaison, John Festa stands ready to answer any of your business-related questions. Please feel free to call at 781-286-8181 or visit the Department of Planning and Community Development.
Step 2: Location
Ready to start looking at sites for your venture? Location is a key factor in the success of your enterprise. However, you must consider your needs, budget, and target clientele when choosing a site for your new business. For commercial properties, the City of Revere offers personal assistance to find the perfect location for your business. For help in selecting your site, please contact the Business Liaison.
Step 3: Business Plan
Before starting to build your venture, you need a plan. A formal business plan is an invaluable tool to help your business succeed. A requirement to obtain certain loans, a business plan addresses the critical goals and challenges of a new business venture and enables entrepreneurs to set benchmarks, evaluate progress, and demonstrate to potential investors that the company has longer term profit-making potential with positive cash flows.
We also offer personal assistance via our business liaison, John Festa, who can be contacted at (781) 286-8181. Depending on your business, we also may be able to offer enhanced technical assistance resources.
Step 4: Zoning, Permitting, and Licensing
- File for Site Plan Review and submit with floor plan and certified plot plan.
- Receive a detailed Zoning Determination from Building Commissioner; proceed according to instructions in Zoning Determination.
- Set up a inspection and receive Certificate of Inspection.
- Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau to determine if additional permits are needed.
- If building or renovating: Submit floorplan and all required documentation for approval from Site Plan Review; Receive building permit.
- Visit the City of Revere Licensing Office to file for any appropriate license or apply online at www.revere.org/departments/
- Contact the Health Inspections Division to inquire for any additional licenses or apply online at citizenserve.com/Portal/PortalController.
Step 5: Business Certificate
- Visit the Revere City Clerk's Office.
- File for a City of Revere business certificate and get the form notarized (only if company will be a sole proprietorship or general partnership).
- Submit notarized form with a check or money order in the amount of the filing fee.
Step 6: Local Taxes
As you start your business, it is important to be aware of your tax obligations at each stage of your development process. Visit the Revere City Collector’s Office to make sure you are in good standing.
Step 7: Internal Revenue Service
- Call the Internal Revenue Service office in Boston to schedule an appointment if needed.
- File federal tax forms for your business.
- Get a federal tax identification number.
Step 8: Massachusetts Department of Revenue
- Contact the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
- File Massachusetts state tax forms for your business.
- Get a Sales Tax Registration Number and Certificate.
Step 9: Insurance
- Do a risk assessment and inventory of your business's facility and property.
- Visit the Business Liaison, if necessary, for advice.
Step 10: Ribbon Cutting
Congratulations, you’ve done your due diligence and your business is ready to open its doors! Purchase a huge ribbon and giant ridiculous-looking scissors! The opening of a business in Revere is an important event both for the proprietors and the surrounding community, and thus an event that should be celebrated. The Mayor and City officials are eager to to honor your accomplishment and your new place in the community, and will attend ribbon-cutting events or other business opening ceremonies as their schedule allows. To invite the Mayor or other City officials to such an event, please contact the Mayor’s Office at (781) 286-8111.
Forms & Applications
- Board of Health Permit Fees
- DBA Application
- DBA Discontinuance/Change Form
- DB Filing Instructions
- Hackney Licenses Application/Renewal
- Licensing Commission
- Overhanging Signage or Awning Permit Application
- State Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission Forms and Applications
- Business Certificate Form
- Business Certificate Filing Instructions
Business Liaison; Director of Signage & Storefront Programs