Marriage License Applications

The City Clerk’s Office accepts marriage license applications Monday 8:00AM - 6:30PM, Tuesday 8:00AM-4:30PM* (*6:30PM after a Monday holiday), Wednesday and Thursday 8:00AM - 4:30PM, and Friday 8:00AM-11:30AM.

The application process takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. The fee is $50.00. The City accepts any form of payment except American Express. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “City of Revere.”

To Apply

To apply for a marriage license, both applicants must appear together at the City Clerk’s Office together and bring the following:

  • A photo ID for each applicant.
  • The Social Security number for each applicant who has been issued one. Federal statutes require the collection of Social Security numbers at the time of application. You do not need to bring your Social Security Card; just have the number available. If you do not have a Social Security number a reason must be provided at the time the application is made.
  • For each applicant under 18 years old, a Court Marriage of Minor Order must be obtained from the probate court or district court where the minor resides. The applicant must appear in court with his or her partner and his or her parent, and obtain a judge’s permission to marry, before applying for the marriage license. For each such applicant, bring a certified birth record and the court order showing the judge’s permission to marry.
  • There is no longer a requirement for a medical certificate or blood work.

Please proofread your license carefully with your partner before the ceremony to be sure there are no errors. It will cost $75.00 to make any corrections once the marriage is solemnized.  The marriage must be solemnized within 60 days of the day you originally apply, or the license will expire. Also, the marriage must be solemnized in Massachusetts, or it will not be valid.  A Priest, Minister, Rabbi, or other religious official, or a Justice of the Peace may perform the ceremony. A Justice of the Peace will not require witnesses to the ceremony. Some religions do require witnesses, so contact the person performing the ceremony to see if witnesses are necessary.

After Application

Once your application for a marriage license is complete, the license will be issued 3 days later (licenses applied for Monday can be picked up Thursday; licenses applied for Tuesday can be picked up Friday; licenses applied for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday can be picked up the following Monday).  Anyone can pick it up at the City Clerk’s Office, and there is no charge.  Impounded marriage licenses may only be picked up by Party A, Party B, or the parents of Party A or B as listed on the marriage license with photo identification.

If you want to waive the 3-day waiting period, you must bring an approved Court Petition for a Marriage Without Delay showing a judge’s permission to waive the waiting period. The Suffolk County Probate and Family Court issues these petitions and is located at 24 New Chardon St., Boston, MA (617)-788-8300.

The Ceremony

Out-of-State clergy may perform the ceremony in Massachusetts if authorization has been obtained prior to the ceremony from the Secretary of State’s Office (McCormack Building, Public Records Division, Department of the State Secretary, One Ashburton Place, Room 1701, Boston, 617-727-2836). The marriage license will not be registered unless the required authorization is enclosed with the license.

The person who performs the ceremony must complete and sign the license in black ink only, and return it to the city or town where it was issued. That city or town is the only place where the license will be registered. The license must be returned or the marriage will not be registered.

If you have been divorced you do not have to bring any divorce papers when you apply, but your divorce must be final at the time of the application.  If you have any questions regarding your divorce you should consult with an attorney.

If you do not live in Massachusetts and an impediment to marriage exists in your state of residence or if you have a question as to whether the marriage solemnized in Massachusetts will be legally recognized in your state of residence, you should consult with an attorney.

Scheduling Your Wedding at City Hall

You may schedule your ceremony at City Hall upon completion of applying for your marriage license.  If you are using a marriage license from another community please call 781-286-8160.

You can schedule your wedding ceremony between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. on Friday.  Scheduling is dependent on Council Chamber availability and City Clerk availability.

The wedding ceremony costs $100 and only cash is accepted.  Payment is due upon your arrival for the ceremony.

The wedding ceremony will take about 15 minutes. You do not need to bring any witnesses as the City Clerk serves as the witness, but up to twenty guests can be accommodated.  The wedding ceremony can be conducted by the Justice of the Peace in English or Spanish.  Please bring your own interpreter for any other language.

If you are using a marriage license from another community, please remember to bring your marriage license with you to Revere City Hall.  If you filed for your marriage license in Revere, your license will stay on file in the City Clerk’s Office until the day of your wedding.

Please arrive at the City Clerk’s Office approximately 15 minutes early for the purpose of reviewing your marriage license and payment.  The City Clerk will then escort you and your guests to the Council Chambers located on the 2nd Floor.

Provide Website Feedback

There was a problem with your submission. Please correct the issues below

* Required Fields

Please wait…