Commission on Disabilities Notes - October, 2017
October 11, 2017
The Revere Commission on Disabilities held its monthly meeting on October 10, 2017.
- On September 19, the Commission on Disabilities hosted a training for all city department heads/staff on ADA compliance. The presentation was given by staff from the Massachusetts Office on Disability. This was the first time since the reformation of the Commission on Disabilities that formal training was held for city staff – an important step toward making sure the needs of residents with disabilities are addressed by city government.
- The Commission is preparing an Accessibility Survey to include in next year’s City Census. More details about the survey will be available at the November meeting.
- The first two weeks of the Fall 2017 Special Olympics program have been successful, thanks to the support of outstanding volunteers. The Young Athletes program and youth soccer program will continue to run on Saturdays until November 4 at the Paul Revere School. Due to the ongoing success of the program, Revere volunteers are working with Special Olympics to attempt to start a winter sports program as well; details are forthcoming.
- The Special Needs Drop and Stay Play Group will host its annual Halloween Party for children with special needs age 2-9 on Monday, October 23 at 5:30 PM, at the Revere Youth Center, 150 Beach St. Donations of juice boxes ore snacks would be appreciated.
- The Commission on Disabilities is hosting office hours each Friday from 8:15-12:15 at the Veterans Affairs office, 249R Broadway (American Legion Building). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781-286-8267 for more information.