Storefront & Signage Improvement Program (SSIP)
The City of Revere StoreFront and Signage Improvement Program
The City of Revere Storefront & Signage Improvement Program (SSIP), managed by the Department of Planning and Community Development (DPCD), offers grants and loans to small businesses owners looking to upgrade, improve or replace aging storefronts and signage within the Broadway and Shirley Avenue Business Districts. Vibrant and attractive downtown or commercial business districts are fundamental in providing residents access to quality goods and services. Well-designed storefront and signage can improve consumers perceptions and experiences within a commercial district, increase foot traffic, create safer streets, and expand product diversification within the marketplace. The program is designed to enhance residents and visitors' experiences in these commercial districts and is federally funded through the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG).
Financial assistance offered through the Community Development Block Grant Program may be in the form of grants or loans and may require a participant match.
The information below is provided as guidance; please do not hesitate to contact DPCD staff if you have any questions about the program or eligibility.
Who Can Apply?
Interested applicants must fall into one of two categories:
- Owner of a pre-existing or Revere small business physically located on either the Broadway corridor or on Shirley Avenue; or
- Owner of a property with at least one active retail storefront located on either Broadway corridor or on Shirley Avenue.
Due to current funding sources, eligibility for financial assistance is restricted to these two business districts. Expansion of the program to other areas of the city will be subject to the availability of future funding sources.
Storefront Improvement Program
Revere property owners or commercial/business tenants can access financial resources in the form of deferred loans to renovate or restore commercial building exteriors through the Storefront Improvement Program. This program works to enhance and modernize the appearance of independently owned small businesses on Shirley Avenue and Broadway.
Signage Improvement Program
Revere property owners or commercial/business tenants can access financial resources in the form of a grant to remove and replace existing store signage through the Signage Improvement Program. This program works to enhance and modernize the appearance of independently owned small businesses on Shirley Avenue and Broadway.
- Any changes to approved scopes of work will require new cost estimates or revised proposals be reviewed and approved by a DPCD representative for reimbursement eligibility prior to the said changes can be authorized by the business owner to the hired contractor.
- The City of Revere cannot be held liable in labor or other disputes arising from work funded by this program.
- DPCD personnel reserve the right to reject all Storefront and Signage Improvement Program applications based on noncompliance with City and/or Federal guidelines as outlined in the official program application and all associated contractual agreements.
The Department of Planning and Community Development staff can offer assistance and referrals to applicants. For more information, John Festa can be reached at 781-286-8194 x 20318